Protecting Source Water and Importance of Source Protection Plans
Marta will be presenting on the topic of source protection and their usefulness for protecting the source water that supplies drinking water systems. She will share her insights and experiences on why source protection plans matter to drinking water system owners, the steps that go into a source protection plan, and some tips to help water system owners build and implement their own source protection plan. This webinar will include some recent case studies including how the City of Merritt’s Source Protection Plan helped the City in their drinking water system recovery efforts after the devastating floods in November 2021. The webinar will also provide an opportunity for a Q&A discussion on emerging source water protection concerns for water systems.
- Identify major types of hazards to the source water of a water system
- Understand how to bring in a risk assessment framework when considering hazards to your water source
- Discuss case studies of previous Source Protection Plans and lessons learned
- Apply this information to future infrastructure reviews, community outreach and education initiatives, and emergency response
Presented By: Marta Green
Marta Green, P.Geo., is a Technical Specialist in Hydrogeology with Associated Environmental Consultants based in Vernon, BC. Marta’s expertise focuses on groundwater supply development, and watershed science including drinking water source protection planning and environmental impact studies. Marta has 20 years of experience working for municipal, agricultural, industrial, and commercial clients across BC and Yukon. Marta is the treasurer of the BC Ground Water Association (BCGWA) and represents BCGWA on the Okanagan Basin Water Board’s Water Stewardship Council.
Flooding & Drought Ground Water Wells
John will be presenting on the topics of flood protection for water supply wells, statutory requirements for flood protection of water supply wells under the Water Sustainability Act and the Groundwater Protection Regulation, groundwater flooding, as well as:
- Statutory responsibilities under the WSA and GPR for flood protection of water supply wells
- Understand the differences of overland and groundwater flooding
- Understand the mechanisms of groundwater flooding
- Understand how to reduce flooding risks to water supply wells
Presented By: John Pogson
John Pogson, P.Geo., is a hydrogeologist and Acting Section Head for the South Area Groundwater Science Team within the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRORD) based in Penticton, BC. Mr. Pogson has experience and expertise is aquifer testing, contaminated sites hydrogeology and remediation. John has a combined 28 years of experience working on groundwater and contaminated sites projects in BC, Alberta, and the Northwest Territories.